Review: Chain of Gold - Cassandra Clare
Set in Edwardian
London, Chain of Gold, follows a cast of
characters from all the Shadowhunter families you already know: Lightwood, Herondale , Fairchild, Blackthorn,
Carstairs, etc. And a few you haven't
heard about yet: Bridgestock , Townsend,
Wentworth, etc. As with all of Cassandra
Clare's novels, this is a wonderful romp through London with plenty of danger,
intrigue, romance, twisting plot points, and more!
Really, I only had a
minor criticism of the book, characters get confusing at the beginning, but it
eventually clears up. It's a little
weird that all the character traits, blue eyes/black hair/gold eyes/red hair,
are all mixed up from the original Shadowhunter Series. I understand needing to describe people, but
suddenly a Lightwood doesn't look like a Lightwood because in the years between
Chain of Gold and the Mortal Instruments
series many people have married each other and it's just a bit odd. Also, everyone is someone's cousin. I may have waited too long from reading the
last Clockwork book, but I'm not sure.
This is honestly a minor criticism.
Around the first 1/4 of the book, I didn't care about who had which last
name because the characters really grew into their own!
I'm really loving
the use of characters who identify as LGBTQ, and the depth of these characters
is honestly amazing! You love to see
it! Since this book came out, I've seen
some comments that Clare used too many characters that identified as lesbian,
bi, or gay for the time period . I really
don't think that criticism should be applied here, Cassandra Clare recently
tweeted in response to comments about this issue saying that LGBTQ people
existed in the time period , just because you haven't heard about them does not
mean they did not exist. I absolutely
understand where she is coming from and I have to agree. Persons who identified as a sexual
orientation that does not conform to the society in which they live have been a
part of humanity since the dawn of time. This isn't a new thing. The only thing new about it is that we, as
humans, are much more aware and conscious of the free expression of love.
I appreciate the use
of flashbacks to tell backstory; it helps with the continuity and ultimately
enhances the narrative. My favorite
character is probably Matthew, he reminds me a lot of Jace from The Mortal
Instruments series. He's broody,
sometimes distant, headstrong, and seems a bit careless. Definitely a guy I'd like to meet in
Edwardian London!
Overall, this book
is another exciting adventure by Cassandra Clare and I would encourage you to
pick it up ASAP! If you have not read
the Mortal Instruments Series or the Infernal Devices series, you can still
read this book. You may miss a few of the jokes that reference earlier books,
but it stands well on its own as a new series set in the Shadowhunter
Universe!

No comments:
Post a Comment